Two Sides of A Coin

My husband and I wanted a place to share our projects...I do crafting (e.g. cards, sewing, etc...), household projects, and parties for kids. My husband makes toy trucks, household projects (e.g. closet redesign), and helps with party decorations and games. While he's a professional contractor, we do this for fun. We both cook, but I am more likely to try new and different recipes. We'll be trying out Pinterest items and reporting back.

Monday, December 24, 2012

Cinnamon Adult Apple Cider Ice Cream

My father-in-law is a huge ice cream fan - has to have a bowl every night.  So, I thought we would try something a little bit different, a little healthier.

So, from Pinterest, I found this recipe for Apple Cider Ice Cream.  Using my handy Kitchen Aid mixer with ice cream maker attachment, it was actually pretty simple and without a lot of "fancy" ingredients.  I, of course, tweaked the directions (see below for my version).

Cool and refreshing - Very apple-y (is that a word?).  I would suggest making it in the fall, as that seems the season for apple dishes.


Cinnamon Adult Apple Cider Sorbet

Makes 1 1/2 quarts

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups fresh apple cider
2/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon whole cloves
5 whole cinnamon sticks
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cups cranberry juice cocktail (make sure it's 100% juice)
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons dark rum or other alcohol

Directions

  1. Stir together apple cider, sugar, cloves and cinnamon sticks in saucepan. 
  2. Bring to a boil over medium heat , stirring occasionally. 
  3. Simmer for about 15 minutes. 
  4. Remove from heat. 
  5. Remove cloves and cinnamon sticks with a slotted spoon; discard.
  6. Give it 10 minutes to cool.
  7. Add the above mentioned mixed ingredients to your ice cream maker attachment.
  8. Add in applesauce, cranberry and lemon juices and rum. 
  9. Let it run for 15 to 20 minutes - you'll be able to see if start to form up like ice cream.
  10. Enjoy! 
You can cover and refrigerate overnight. Freeze as directed in the instructions for your particular ice cream maker. We ate it right out of the ice cream maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment