Brie and Jam Pops
makes 24 squares (which is only 12 pops)
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed but still cold
1/2 wedge of brie (about 4 ounces), cold
1/3 cup blackberry jam (or any flavor you fancy!)
1 large egg, beaten
splash of milk
coarse sea salt
- All-butter, store bought puff pastry usually comes frozen and folded into thirds. Use these folded thirds to our advantage by cutting the puff pastry into thirds along the creases.
- Cut each panel into four pieces. They’ll be 2 1/4-inch tall and 3-inches wide. One sheet of puff pastry will yield 12 rectangles. Cut each rectangle in half. You’ll have 24 little rectangles that will create 12 little rectangle pockets.
- Combine beaten egg and splash of milk. Brush 12 of the small rectangles with egg wash. If you’d like to make brie bites on sticks, now is the time!
- Place a popsicle stick halfway up the puff pastry and press in gently.
- Place a small sliver of brie (rind and all) on top of the egg wash (and stick). Top with about 1/2 teaspoon of jam. Take another square of puff pastry and press between your fingers to make the rectangle slightly bigger.
- Place puff pastry on top of the cheese and jam. Use a fork to press the edges together. The egg wash will act as glue. Make sure to seal the edges well by crimping with the fork. Prick the top lightly with a fork.
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place prepared brie bites on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with a touch of coarsely ground sea salt. (I forgot this and they were still awesome.)
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
|Brie and Jam Pops|