Two Sides of A Coin

My husband and I wanted a place to share our projects...I do crafting (e.g. cards, sewing, etc...), household projects, and parties for kids. My husband makes toy trucks, household projects (e.g. closet redesign), and helps with party decorations and games. While he's a professional contractor, we do this for fun. We both cook, but I am more likely to try new and different recipes. We'll be trying out Pinterest items and reporting back.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup ...Absolutely Amazing!

The best soup recipe I have made in YEARS!!! Amazing.  Absolutely amazing.

My DH had to leave town for a few days this week.  Since I was home alone, I wanted to make a vegetarian meal for me.  So, I pulled this Butternut Squash and Apple Soup from Pinterest.  The original recipe came from NPR.



I tweaked it a bit, so here's my take.



Ab Fab Butternut Squash and Apple Soup


Makes 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

1 butternut squash, about 2 pounds, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
3 firm, sweet apples, such as Braeburn, Pink Lady or Jazz, peeled, cored and quartered
1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon Garlic Chili Sauce
2 cloves of garlic, unpeeled and crushed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
3 1/4 cups vegetable broth
2/3 cup light cream


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Spread the squash, apples, onion, and garlic on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, coriander and rosemary. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until all the vegetables are cooked through and golden.
  3. Remove the vegetables from the oven. When they are cool enough to handle, squeeze the garlic from the peel. (I forgot to do this, but it didn't make any difference.) 
  4. If you have an immersion blender, scrape the vegetables into the crockpot with the vegetable broth. Deglaze the baking sheet with 1/4 cup boiling water, scraping at the burned-on bits to capture them. If you are using a countertop blender, deglaze the pan as above and pour roughly 1/3 of the vegetables from the baking sheet into the blender/food processor and puree. Transfer puree to the crockpot. Continue this process with the rest of the vegetables.
  5. Once the vegetables are pureed, put the crockpot on warm and let it cook all day.  I left it on warm for 8 hours. Then, stir in the cream and let it warm up for about 30 minutes or until the soup is warmed through and reaches your preferred consistency.
  6. To serve, divide into bowls. 
And it was amazing.  I give it a 5 out of 5 stars.   Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment