Again, I pinned this and wanted to give this baked version of taquitos (or flautas, as she calls them) a shot. My DH loves taquitos, but I have never made them. Somehow, that deep-fried meat just never appealed to me. But, baked I was willing to try.
Baked Chicken and Spinach TaquitosYields:10 taquitos
Prep Time: 15 minutes; Total Time: 45 minutes
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 16 ounces Beer (or chicken broth)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 3 cups Baby Spinach, chopped
- 5 burrito-size Flour Tortillas (9 inches) (we used half Carb Friendly tortillas)
- 1 bag Mexican Cheese, 2%, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, or cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Put the chicken in a deep sided saute pan and cover with the beer and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the liquid and shred it. Mix together the chicken and seasonings.
- Pour out all but 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the spinach and cook over low heat until for 2-3 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted.
- Cut the tortillas in half. Spoon 1/10th of the chicken (about 1 tablespoon) along the long edge of a tortilla. Repeat with the spinach and cheese. Roll the tortilla up, starting with the straight edge. Place seam-side down on an oiled baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Brush the taquitos with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn them over and bake for until 10 minutes, or until crispy.
Each taquito has approx. 180 calories, 9 grams fat, 6 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber, 18 grams protein
The recipe was pretty good...would have better if I hadn't burnt the ends of the taquitos. I served it with black beans on the side.
Recipe gets a 3.5 out of 5. I would have preferred more spinach (next time I may double it).