Two Sides of A Coin

My husband and I wanted a place to share our projects...I do crafting (e.g. cards, sewing, etc...), household projects, and parties for kids. My husband makes toy trucks, household projects (e.g. closet redesign), and helps with party decorations and games. While he's a professional contractor, we do this for fun. We both cook, but I am more likely to try new and different recipes. We'll be trying out Pinterest items and reporting back.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

My Broccoli Cheese Rice Cups

I found this Cheddar Broccoli Rice Cup recipe on Pinterest. The original recipe sounded great for us - some veggies, but otherwise I thought we had everything else in our cupboard.  So I picked up some fresh broccoli and started making it one night.

And I didn't doublecheck my recipe. And I didn't actually have all the ingredients.  So here is my twist on the recipe. No chicken broth and no ranch dressing.  So I improvised.


My Mexican Cheese Broccoli Rice Cups

Ingredients:

1 cup quick-cooking rice, like Minute Rice
1.5 cup vegetarian broth
10-oz chopped broccoli, steamed and excess water squeezed out
3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese, divided

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions

1. Prepare rice as directed on package, substituting stock for water.  Place cooked rice in a large bowl and let cool slightly.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, using only 1/2 cup of the cheese, and stir until combined.
3. Fill eight well-greased muffin cups and top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
4. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees or until tops are lightly browned and edges are starting to get crispy.


Final Product

Our Review - Honestly mine were a little watery in comparison.  I will actually probably try this again and use the ingredients from the original poster.  It was good, but sort of weirdly "breakfasty" - with rice. 

So it's gets 3 out of 5 stars from us.

Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment