Two Sides of A Coin

My husband and I wanted a place to share our projects...I do crafting (e.g. cards, sewing, etc...), household projects, and parties for kids. My husband makes toy trucks, household projects (e.g. closet redesign), and helps with party decorations and games. While he's a professional contractor, we do this for fun. We both cook, but I am more likely to try new and different recipes. We'll be trying out Pinterest items and reporting back.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Venison and Roasted Veggies - An Easy Stand-By

This week, I was busy at work, so I pretty much asked my husband to deal with dinner.  That means alot of meat typically.  But, I did make my favorite vegetable side dish the first night and we heated that up for the next few meals.

I probably make this roasted vegetable dish at least two to three times a month...depending on what's available as far as vegetables.

Roasted Vegetable Dish

Ingredients (Can Vary, typically:)
Potatoes
Carrots
Green and Red Peppers (not mixed in - Hubby is not a fan)
Onion
(And sometimes....parnsips, beets, turnips, leeks, or sweet potatoes -- it's great for introducing a new vegetable to my husband)

Always
Garlic
Olive Oil
Salt 
Pepper

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  
  2. Chop everything up in about 1 inch or so size.
  3. Mix on a long baking dish.
  4. Yummy!
  5. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.  Check that the carrots are soft.


A few months ago, we got a venison backstrap from my dad.  While I am an animal lover, I have no problem with consuming venison from a licensed, sanctioned hunt.  I have seen the devastation that is caused by an unculled herd of deer (they really suffer).  So if you're not a meat fan, stop reading now.

My husband cut them basically into Filet Mignon. We wrapped them in bacon and tried three different kinds of marinades. We secured them with toothpicks and distributed them into different Ziploc bags.  And we had venison five out of seven nights (a little more than I prefer).

First and most important, add a little oil to a sauce pan.  Venison is remarkably low in fat.  Then, sear the steaks - this will keep them from getting dried on when you grill them.  Grill them for about seven minutes on each side.




This A1 New York Steakhouse sauce is really good.  We enjoyed it.


Here's what they look like after they were grilled.  (I prefer my meat well-done.)  It was yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment